How to use MCup?
You have tried tampons and sanitary pads, and maybe you’ve heard about menstrual cups but always asked yourself, just how do they work? Using MCup is very similar to using tampons, and MCups are already widely used by people all over the world. At home, at work, on holiday, on the go!
MCup are designed to be simple, comfortable, hygiene and fuss free. Simply fold and insert. Done!
Here you can find out everything you need to know about how to use MCup – we explain it all in one video and few simple steps.
This step-by-step guide to using a MCup will take you smoothly through each stage.
Here’s how to get the very best out of your MCup, and your period:
Step 1: Wash and Sterilize
• Wash your hands under clean running water.
• Wash and boil Mcup for 10-15 minutes in a pan of clean water to sterilize it. (Please make sure there is enough water in the pan so you don’t burn out the MCup)
• Wear Mcup immediately after sterilizing.
• Do not keep it anywhere before wearing.
Step 2: FOLD
Fold MCup using a fold that works best for you. Many girls and women’s start with the C-fold or U fold (as shown in the figure).If that doesn’t work for you, try some of the other folds to make insertion easier. Every menstruator’s / women’s anatomy is unique, so find the fold that works for you.
Fold Option 1 “U Fold”:
Press the sides of the MCup together and then fold it in half again forming a tight “U” Shape
Fold Option 2 “Push Down”:
Place a finger on the top rim of the MCup and press it down into the center of the inside base to form a triangle. This makes the top rim much smaller to insert.
Hold the folded sides firmly in place between your thumb and forefinger so that the curved edge is facing away from your palm (or so that the stem is facing your palm);
Final Position of the Mcup in vagina.
Step 3: Insert and Ensure
- Take a comfortable position: standing, sitting on the toilet or squatting. Relaxxxx your vaginal muscles.
- The vagina is an elastic, muscular tube only about 3-4 inches (8-10 cm) long. Gently separate your labia with your opposite, free hand.
- Simply Insert MCup into the vagina, aiming it horizontally towards your tailbone (located at the base of your spine) and away from the cervix.
- MCup will open before it is completely inserted; however, continue to insert towards the tailbone until the stem is even with the vaginal opening and does not protrude.
- DO NOT push the tip of the stem further than 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) into the vagina.
- Inserting MCup too high may cause leaks and may also make removal more difficult.
Step 4: Check after Insert and Learn
- MCup is emptied about 2–4 times a day, can be used for up to 12 hours of leak free protection, and also used in overnight.
- The measuring lines on the cup help monitor your flow and easily learn your rhythm.
Step 5: Remove and Empty
- Thoroughly wash your hands as recommended. In a comfortable position, either standing, sitting on the toilet, or squatting with your buttocks resting on your heels, bear down in a series of gentle downward pushes with your abdominal/pelvic floor muscles (as if you are having a bowel movement).
- Since the vagina is only about 3-4 inches (8-10 cm) long, insert your thumb and index finger until you can reach the stem. Gently pull the stem horizontally until you can firmly pinch the base of the MCup.
- Squeeze the cup gently to release the seal.
- As you remove it, angle it sideways while moving it from side to side. Once removed, hold the MCup upright so the contents remain inside the cup.
- Simply empty the contents into the toilet. Wash it thoroughly as directed and reinsert.
Step 6: Clean Sanitize And Re-Insert
- Mcup conveniently holds one ounce (25 ml). The entire average monthly flow is approximately 1-2 ounces (30-60 ml). MCup can be worn up to a maximum of 10-12 consecutive hours, such as overnight, before removing, washing and reinserting.
- By monitoring the fullness of the cup, you will quickly learn how often to empty it according to your personal needs. We recommend that it is emptied, washed and rinsed a minimum of 2-3 times daily.
- If you have a fairly regular cycle, you can insert MCup the day your period begins to prevent messy leaks. Clean MCup with warm water .which is specifically formulated to gently cleanse MCup, or use a mild, oil and fragrance-free soap.
- Do not use vinegar, tea tree oil, scented soap, and castile/peppermint soap, oil-based soap, rubbing alcohol, antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, pre-moistened wipes, dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, bleach or harsh chemicals as these may damage the silicone and cause irritation.
- MCup may naturally, slightly discolor over time. This does not impair its functionality. As needed, it may be boiled for 5-10 minutes in an open pot with plenty of water.
- Do not leave the boiling pot unattended. If you accidentally burned your cup if the pot boiled dry, your cup may be ruined and should be replaced. The tiny holes located below the rim must be kept clear and clean at all times.
- Gently stretch each hole under warm running water to remove any debris. At the end of your cycle, thoroughly wash, rinse and dry MCup completely. Store it in the cotton bag provided, not in a plastic bag or airtight container. It is not necessary to remove MCup before urinating or having a bowel movement.
- Make sure that you urinate often and that you empty your bladder completely each time. If you are unable to wash MCup after removal (for instance when using a public restroom), wash your hands thoroughly before entering the stall, empty the contents in the toilet and simply use a dry or damp tissue to clean the cup.
- At the next convenient time, clean as instructed. When traveling, or otherwise, always wash the MCup using potable (safe to drink) water.